The Right Planning and Constructing!
Why would you buy an expensive already made coop and spend hundreds of dollars, when you could build very own, custom-made chicken coop even if you are not a professional carpenter, and that only for a few dollars? There are certain simple rules that you should follow step-by-step if you want to build a quality chicken house.
5 Important things to consider when building a chicken coop
- The first thing that you have to consider before building a coop would be the appearance and the design of it. To determine this factors, you have to plan it out first. First, you should sketch a plan on a sheet of paper and determine the color of the roof, door or the chicken coop as a whole. Since a hen house is actually going to be a visible structure in your backyard, you have to make sure that the structure is aesthetically pleasing to the eyes. Note that it is best to remove garbage and weeds after you are done constructing your chicken house.
- When designing your chicken coop, be sure that you have used a sound judgment in all aspects of the designing process. The one aspect that can’t be emphasized enough would be simplicity and easiness of cleaning and disinfecting procedures of the coop. You also have to consider the correct and ergonomic structure for the door as well as all windows of your chicken house.
- The lightening of the chicken coop must be provide chicken with natural and artificial sources. Artificial source should be easily accessible to you so that during the cold season, you could simply light it up and thus keep your chickens dry inside the hen house. As for the cold season, note that you have to provide the building with at least one window facing the south side, so that chicken could receive direct sunlight even when it’s cold and to keep the coop dry and warm.
- You are going to want to protect your chickens from hazardous elements, so you need to consider several things. A hen house will serve as a protection to your chickens from the extremes of weather as well as from animal predators. In order to properly protect you chickens, the structure of your chicken coop must be well thought of. You have to make sure that your coop has proper screening and fencing. Note also that the quality of materials used during a hen house construction is important to protect hens from weather changes and predator attacks.
- The thing that you should never forget about during construction is the ventilation of the hen coop, so that your chickens have ample supply of fresh and clean air even during the summer period and high temperatures. Make sure that you have provided hens with free-flowing air so it can go in-and-out of the coop. In addition to that, you have to make sure that the walls of your hen house are properly isolated so that your chickens remain dry and warm during a bad weather.
These are basic things that you need to think about when trying to learn how to build a chicken coop. Always remember that you need to plan your chicken coop well .